Monday, September 9, 2013

Greg's Week: Zuppa Toscana

Yes. I do believe that it's totally normal to base an entire week's menu off of what my husband likes to eat.

I mean, I eat anything. So, every week is Erika week around our house apt home.

When I went grocery shopping this week after spending 10 days at my parent's home, I didn't even know where to begin. We had negative food in our refrigerator. I'll leave that up to you to determine what exactly that means. But, if you've been there, you understand.

On my way to the store, I shot him a text asking if he needed/wanted anything specific. He asked for the basics (at least what he considers are basics)-shredded cheese, peanut butter, bread, and yup that's pretty much it. He did request a meal at the end of the text.

This is huge.

Greg never makes menu suggestions or really pushes for a certain meal. He's not choosy. So, it was kind of a big deal for him to ask for something.

That got me thinking. Maybe we should just eat some of his favorites this week.

How did we begin this week?

Olive Garden Italian style. Uhm. Duh.

I decided to try my hand at some "ZUUUUUUUPA!" Yes, you have to say it like an Italian.

Say hello to some lovely beef smoked sausage. These soup needs this. It needs the flavor.

Throw down some thick hickory smoked bacon.

I know what you're thinking. Yes, this soup is fool proof. It has bacon.

Bacon. Only made better by caramelizing some onions in its fat.

I am convinced that this is what makes this soup so flavorful without adding tons of seasoning. Those sautéed onions were like nothing I've ever had before. 

This soup cries for some starch. Potatoes are an easy solution. 

Just hanging out before taking a bath in some delicious bacon sautéed onions. 


Add water. Chicken bouillon. Potatoes. Simple 

I let my potatoes simmer for about 20 minutes. Then, I added an entire head of kale.

Please note. Take off the thick stocks of kale. The vein of kale can be pretty tough and tasteless. Let's avoid that.

I doused in some milk, salt, and pepper then served this puppy up with homemade breadsticks. 



 As for Greg? He went back for seconds. Always a good sign for a guy who doesn't eat much.

Day one of Greg's week: complete.



No comments:

Post a Comment