Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Dining Room Table.

We were sitting in the dining room. Just doing some online Christmas shopping (that's how I seem to shop now. thank you, college). Momma and I were joking back and forth, then I just let her have it.

I gushed. Big time. No, not tears, just about God's crazy grace.

With school, I don't have a lot of time to just sit down and talk with my momma. But, I made time last night. Because, it's important. I love her.

There have been so many circumstances this semester that I know if they had happened to me a year ago, my life would be in shambles. Not because of the circumstances, per se. But, because of the way I would have handled them (or not handled them...I like ignoring problems, but apparently God doesn't. weird, huh?).

It's crazy to me why God would bless with the friends I have. One friend in particular. Things this semester could have destroyed our friendship. Our lack of communication or desire to please God could have easily turned things sour. But, nope. This friend is so honest. So open about communication, how she's struggling, and how God's grace never fails.

Uncommunicative me has been pushed to be open with her, too. It's funny how really communicating gets rid of a lot of problems (well, biblical communication that is). For so long, I rationalized away being open with people (and, here's why). Then, I would get angry with God about how he never chose to bless me with honest relationships (kind of ironic, eh?).
THE dining room table. This time last year. And, those amazing people would be my family.

But, back to the dinning room table (alas, I digress). As I was laying out everything that's gone down (that had the potential to end this relationship with my dear, dear friend) these past couple of weeks, I almost lost it. Why has God chosen to bless me so much? What did I do to deserve all this goodness?

The answer? Nothing. I have done absolutely nothing. Because, I didn't (and don't) have to.

It's simply stunning to realize the absolute sacrifice that God made when he sent his righteous son to take on the entire world's unrighteousness, so that I don't have to deal with it (not even my own sin. he's got that covered). It's not that I am such a righteous person (people who know me...I know your heads are nodding) that God chose to extend his mercy. He gave it. Freely. Sacrificially. So that I can gain access to his righteousness (man! this concept boggles my mind).

The only thing I have to do. Love God. Love others.

Enter not into judgment with your servant, for no one living is righteous before you.(ps. 143:2). But, God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ(eph. 2:4-5). 

For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised(2 cor. 5:14-15). But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life.

To the King of ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen(1 tim. 1:16-17).

No comments:

Post a Comment