Monday, November 21, 2011

A Book, Judged By Its Cover.

Monday nights are Bible study nights. I drag my worn out self over to my sister's before the study actually begins, eat some dinner (because she's married now and cooks delicious food...and it's free), and grab a cup of tea. My sister, Courtney, sits down at the piano and pulls out the worship music. Together, we sing several songs, and I stop suddenly, mesmerized by the amount of good books on her shelf.

I pulled one of them out and laughed a little. The title was "The Legacy of Biblical Womanhood." And, the cover was adorned with watercolor potted plants and a stack of books. Courtney turned to see what I'd found. "Oh, I meant to give that to you for your birthday (my birthday was in March...) it's an amazing book, really." I wasn't too excited at the prospect of reading it. But, for her sake, I agreed.

Now, as I flip back through the two thirds of this book that I've read, I do not see a single page that has nothing underlined or copious notes in the margin. This little book is a treasure trove of wisdom (from God's word, none the less). I can safely say that I am oodles more excited about sharing God's grace with other people because I've read (almost all) of this book.

So, what does it say about the awkward legacy of Biblical Womanhood (it sounds archaic and just plain weird, let's be honest)? Well, so glad you asked. Let's get a sneak peek, shall we?

"The ground at the cross is level, but as people walk away from the cross to live out the implications of their salvation, their paths will be different. But, women need to be taught sound doctrine, and they need spiritual mothers to help them apply that doctrine to life." 


"Reclaim every relationship for the glory of our Father. Our relationship with Jesus defines and governs every other relationship."


"Gospel gratitude is an evidence of maturity. It invigorates obedience."


As I walk from class to class reading this book (I may or may not hide the cover from time to time, and I often run into people, but that's a story for a different time), I get this undeniable fire to be a better steward of my relationship with God.

See, told you it looked cheesy...
But, so worth it.
So, if you have the time (and, I say make the time) and have the strength of will to get past the horrendously cheesy cover, read it.

1 comment:

  1. I laughed when I read this because I had the same reaction to this book. I hated the cover and thought that I'd hate reading it and blah blah blah.
    I loved it. It's SO good. My mom led a whole women's book study at our church on it, there is even a companion series for young teenage girls.

    ReplyDelete