Saturday, September 4, 2010

My limb.

I walked in confidently, ordered my pumpkin spice latte, and sat down in the most comfortable seats. Moments later, she walked in-the radiant bride to be. She was joyful as she approached me with her mother. We sat down together and caught up a little on life in general. After some small talk, we got down to business. I gave her a sample of the cupcake and nearly held my breath as the bride took the first bite. She swallowed then looked at me and flashed a smile. My heart soared; she liked it.

For the rest of our meeting, we sat and discussed the details of the event. Where was the dessert table, when should I get there, what flavors did she want?

Maybe I should back up a bit and explain what exactly this meeting meant. I love to bake, and recently it's turned into more than just a love. My baking has become a job. I was meeting with a close friend Tori to discuss the dessert buffet I am providing for her upcoming nuptials. This is my first big job as a full blown business owner.

The meeting went smashingly. We decided on three different cupcakes: vanilla bean, chocolate cocoa, and red velvet. Along with the cupcakes I'll also be making three different cookie varieties and a two-tiered wedding cake. Everything got nailed down. I have my task outlined perfectly and my shopping list has already started to evolve.

It wasn't until late that night when I was able to digest what all had occurred. I had my first big job. I was an entrepreneur. I have no idea what I'm doing. What on earth did I just sign up for? I was getting cupcake cold feet. Don't worry, I'm not going to back out. After I cleared my mind I realized what life would be like if no one took chances and went out on a limb. Life would be miserable and quite boring.

This is my limb I'm going out on, the chance I'm taking. My feelings are a mixture of joy, terror, and excitement. Wish me luck blogosphere!

No comments:

Post a Comment