Wednesday, August 11, 2010


Part of the reason why I think I'm such a Cake Boss addict and a huge fan of Kate Plus Eight, has to do with the fact that I'm a sucker for family. Both of those shows revolve strongly around a family atmosphere, granted the atmosphere isn't always perfect, but hey, that's family. So, wherever I am, I try to create that same feeling, whether it be at work, Starbucks, or at home. And quite frankly, the biggest gaping hole of my summer has been that my family hasn't been with me. It's a big ginormous disconnect.

But, that hole has been filled, temporarily, with something that I could never have asked for. For one, the people I work with have become my family. My boss and I hoo and haa about anything and everything like we're sisters. But, remarkably, we still get work done. Tammy, the secretary has been like my mother. I can come in and talk to her about what's going on and she always has something to say. Holly, the vice-president of this whole deal is my guardian. She keeps me on the lookout for everything. So, they've become my family during work hours.

Outside of work I've also been able to make some good friends. Well, good friends with all the Starbucks employees. I frequent Starbucks so much these days, I think I need to buy stock. All the employees recognize me and we talk it up when the shop is quiet. The manager, Kate, is fantastic. Bedford's Starbucks is by far my favorite. And that's saying something, considering that Lafayette and Bloomington have about seven Starbucks each.

Today I have to say goodbye, though. No more work family, Starbucks friends, or grandparents. I didn't think I would miss it. Come on, it's southern Indiana. But, truly, I couldn't have asked for a better summer. Sure, I missed my family and my church so much, but somehow God gave me other things to help fill the void.

But, for now, it's a big sobby goodbye to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment