Monday, June 28, 2010

Hippie at Heart


Yes, I've worn the occasional hippie head band and yes, maybe I've dressed urban hippie. But, no, I never thought of myself of hippie. I mean, come on, I've been raised in a middle class family full of great morals and ultimately, a Christian family. So really, being hippie was out of the question.

Recently I've started to reconsider this. Let's take a look back over the year 2010. In January I spent a week in Texas, no big deal. In February, I spent a week in Indianapolis, again, no big deal. But then, my life started to pick up. I spent two weeks in March in Delaware and New Hampshire. After New Hampshire, I took a train from Boston to New York City to spend Easter with my brother. Then, I had a brief hiatus of about three and a half weeks. Like a ritual, I packed my bags for two weeks in Pennsylvania and Massachusetts. I completed those two weeks and returned home for 5 days. Oh, there's more! Once those five days had elapsed I headed out, like a wild woman, to Tennessee. Once back from Tennessee, I had two days then I left to live with my grandparents for the summer. Yup, that's right, the entire summer.

Now that you're caught up to date, oh wait, psych, I spent last week at an academy at Purdue. So, here's to another week away from home.

As I was packing to return to my grandparent's from Purdue, I started to notice how thoughtless the whole routine had become. Living out of a suitcase with limited amounts of clothing was the norm. And, it still is. While I was driving down to meet my grandparent's so that they could exchange me( :-) ) my dad called me a hippie. Really, Dad, a hippie? Bell bottoms, where? Obnoxious floral patterns, completely lacking in my wardrobe.

But, as I sat driving with my dad asleep beside me, I realized, he was right. Right now, I really don't have a specific place to call home. But, oddly enough, I'm ok with that. My stuff is scattered all over Indiana, and I don't care. Suitcases aren't so bad. In fact, some are quite spacious.

So yes, my wardrobe is not floral throw-up(at least I hope not) and I don't sport hot colors of bell bottoms. But, I feel like a hippie, and it feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment