Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Make me do it.

After a beautiful hiatus from work due to a sublime trip to California, I am back in southern Indiana. I know, I know, be jealous. Even though I'm back to humidity and heat, I'm not forlorn or miserable. Quite the opposite, I love being back at work and actually doing something with myself. Well, doing something with myself at work. You see, the problems arise when I leave work and come home.

My grandparent's house isn't the happiest place on earth. In fact, it's rather depressing, no, it's very depressing. My grandmother keeps all the blinds shut because of her paranoia that the sun will ruin all her furniture. So, it's normally dark and a little musty, not to mention, the furniture is all a hundreds of years old. After a long day at work, I'll arrive home and lose all motivation to do anything. The only thing that seems appropriate to do in the house is read mystical books like Harry Potter-which I have been doing. However, there are other things that I want to get done in a day like running, shopping, a little summer school, painting, etc.

Living with my grandparents has severely crushed that desire. When I arrive home I have to literally drag myself out the door to do anything. I wish I had an excuse for this lack of motivation like mono or sickness. But, alas, I have absolutely no excuse but a creepy old house.

So, here's hoping that today I can overlap my energy from work to my home life.

1 comment:

  1. My grandparents do exactly the same thing! Only it's worse because they used to have a house on the lake. It was a spectacular view, muffled by 3 layers of shades, blinds, curtains, name-that-crap... But not all was lost, my aunt and uncle bought the lake house and they swear they will never get old people disease and cover their windows. They aren't even buying blinds or anything, except for one window.

    Sunlight really makes a huge difference in our motivation. Gosh, just think of the last rainy day when all you wanted to do was have a cup of coffee and read a book.

    ReplyDelete